We checked out of Hotel Ariosto and took a deep breath. Centrale Train Station was where we were going to take the train to Varenna. We also wanted to buy train tickets for the Stroms and us for Thursday’s trip to Florence. Our taxi driver was very chatty. I have found that once I say a few words in Italian, an assumption is made that I actually speak AND understand the language. Ha ha on both counts, but I am pleased with how I am doing, Anyway…Ken noticed our cab driver was reading Obama’s “Audacity of Hope”. She said “Obama is our hope”. (you need to say this with a heavy Italian accent) “No like the woman.” She was talking about Palin. She said “some say pretty. I no like” and then she shuttered, Amen. Then she asked if we had heard about Iran’s election. She was sad about it and said “just because Obama is good man, not all are”. Enough politics……
Entering Centrale Station (Mussolini built it prior to WWII) was insane. It is huge and so confusing. I had notes on exactly where we needed to go and what to do. Of course, even with my over the top organization, we could not find the notes. And so we went into what happens every trip to Europe. Ken’s blood pressure goes way up and I can read his mind. I can not print what he was thinking about me either, That is when I go into my cool “no problem, I think I remember” (which I don’t). Victory for me ! I actually bought all the tickets we need and in Italian. Well, we got to Varenna anyway. We’ll see if I got the right ones to Florence. Then we had to find the train. It was touch and go but Ken and I are still married. We finally found the train and I remembered we were to sit on the left for the best view and in one of the 1st cars or we would get dropped off in a dark tunnel. Ahhhh, we made it to our seats. I am reading our Rick Steve’s book to Ken and come across the part that says “make sure you stamp your ticket before you get on the train or you may have a big fine”. Marone, as my Dad would say (I think you can figure out the translation). Ken hopped off, stamped the ticket in the machine and thank goodness he came back. Next challenge was getting off of the train in time (1 minute is all you have). Picture steep train steps, our luggage, me and a crowd of people all wanting to make that 1 minute window. We did it ! Ken and I decided that sometimes you just need to get through EACH moment and then deal with the next when it gets there.
We are now in beautiful Varenna, Hotel du Lac, room 33. We overlook the lake and this will be 3 days of no “have to” do anything. The owner says she will improve my Italian. Now there is a glass half full woman. When we asked about then internet she said “NO work !” Ken said I was staying in touch with friends “Ahhh, okay then”. We have our mini netbook with us so this blog may be longer than my last one. It is so easy just to sit, relax and type.


5 comments:
K & S!!! You make me laugh...and sweat! What a train story. The stamping of the ticket....yikes! Good ol' Rick Steves. He does know what to do. All we have to do is read it and do it. Relax. You deserve it. The whirlwind will start all over again on Wed. when we arrive. It looks beautiful in Varenna...breath it all in and keep typing away. And working on your Italian.
Love,
Jen
Hey Sally and Ken! Glad you made it and things are going swimmingly. I'm having a ball following your trip on your blog. Next time I go I'm going to do this too. What a great idea!
Wow! I didn't expect such detailed blogging on such little sleep. Keep up the good work ... we love living your adventures with you! It looks beautiful ... ENJOY!!
Just got back from my niece's grad party in Snohomish. You're a busy blogger! I'm glad you're staying where someone will force you to take it easy....AND teach you Italian!? Awesome! So, any messages for me from George?
Lynne
Looks wonderful, have a great time and relax, all is fine here.The pictures of that train station is something. Chocolate Sally, you must be relaxed.....
Post a Comment