Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Un Boun Giorno Fare Niente




This is definitely "a day to do nothing". Today the familiar haze we have seen in Varenna has cleared a bit and the sky is bluer. It still feels like we are sitting in a pot of soup, but our do nothing attitude is making the heat more tolerable.

We started our day with breakfast on the terrace. I usually eat a coronetto stuffed with Italian meats and cheeses, followed by another coronetto stuffed with chocolate and here they have quiche, so I have been having a slice of that. Of course, I have a cappuccino and some coffee. I think that is
an Italian weight watchers breakfast. Ken skips the chocolate coronetto, but makes up for it with other things.

After breakfast, we walked the passerella and found a shady bench to just sit and read and people watch. Our best people watching story was today when Ken and I walked away with two totally different versions of what happened. (Can you see the couple in the background?) An Italian man (nice looking, by the way) in his late 40's was talking to a young Italian woman (Ken says she was nice looking too). The gal, in her early 20's had long hair and was wearing a short dress on that was very sheer. We sat there for an hour watching the 2 of them. He would talk and she would walk away slowly (remember the sheer dress). This happened AT LEAST 50 times. My version of what was going on: the man was trying to pick her up and she was playing hard to get. I was getting pretty tired of seeing the back of that sheer dress and wanted to yell "for the love of God, just give in !" Ken's version: he was a photographer teaching her how to walk/pose for the camera. Ken thinks it may have been for a "naughty" site. Apparently, I missed seeing his camera bag. What a "do nothing" day.

We leave Varenna tomorrow to go back to Milan (on the train), where we meet up with Jen and Brian !

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully Uncle Ken's straw hat and sunglasses on the bridge of his nose are left for Hawaii...LOL. How are you discreet in Italy anyway ?!?

Anonymous said...

I can just see Ken sitting there with a huge smile on his face, chuckling under his newspaper or book....Looks beautiful there....
You look like youra wee bit warm..Have a beer! That still seems so strange to me....

sondi said...

Glad you are taking the time to relax and enjoy the scenery....as colorful as it may be!

We just made it home so will check in from time to time.

Take Care!

Sondi