Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ciao Milan. Watch Out Florence



What a busy morning for the Bakkens,but especially for the Stroms since they had to get adjusted to the nine hour difference in time! We took in the 'Last Supper Museum, the Duomo,took an elevator to the top of the Duomo for a great view, and some gelato! We did this over the period of 3 1/2 hours,also for good measure we took in two subway rides and a taxi ride to the Centrale Train station. We navigated our way to the right train, or at least I hope so, since we are on our way to Florence. No later than planting our rears on our seats, a gentleman came around selling beer. Due per favore! Well, I transferred our pictures over to the computer, backed them up on the flash drive, and added my perspective to the blog this afternoon. Not bad for the day so far. Now for that second beer! It's 29 C which is about 90 F! Ken

We arrived in Florence to 96 degrees. Ken says I look pretty pathetic (actually that is a nice version of what he said). We checked in to Hotel Casci and went to Za Za for a FABULOUS dinner. Ken & Brian had papardelle with wild boar sauce, Jen ravioli with cream sauce with truffles and I had fettucinni with cream sauce and truffles. 33 Euros each with wine and much needed water. It was the 1st time we had a chance to sit and relax since Stroms joined us, so that was great. Then we walked through the San Lorenzo Market (breathed in the leather smell). Of course Ken found a vendor we had talked to last time, whose son had grduated fro Gonzaga and we were off and running with the talking. Then we walked, waked and ate gelato. My pedometer read 5 miles today. It was smoking ! Boy am I tired tonight.

Great Santulla Rose! Now most of the family has chimed in !

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, watch out Florence, epically for those guys in the man-dals and capris...lookin' sharp ;) And Ken, that's almost a perfect Husky high step..just bend your knee a little more!

I'm glad you guys are having fun!! The pictures are making me jealous and I'm sure being there is indescribable. Keep packing your days full of fun things and mom you best be taking pictures! And you know if you see a nice leather coat in my size, don't hesitate to pick that up for your lovely daughter who made the Dean's List this quarter with a 3.55 gpa :) Just kidding (about the coat, I did make dean's list) LOVE YOU!

scary lady said...

OK, cute guys in petal p-- I mean, capris--I mean, cute guys! (You know I love you!)
So glad you're all together and the group adventure is really under way. You did it!
I think I'm going to have to head to Serena's one day soon, what with all of your talk about gelato.. yummmm....and now that SCHOOL IS OUT maybe I just will. The other food sounds pretty awesome, too.
Brian says hi, and enjoy!
Lynne

Michelle said...

unk...you are rockin the man-pris! :) love you!

Unknown said...

Ken and Brian ... I'm speechless! But, heah, what happens in Italy stays in Italy (at least I'm hoping it stays in Italy!). Sounds like you're having a fantastic time ... eating your way through Italy. Enjoy ... stay cool ... keep blogging!

Unknown said...

Hey,
looks like a great time for all. wear out those shoes.
brian- what's the italian equivelent of tequila? J-had your tush grabbed yet? oh wait, maybe thats only 18 year olds. again, maybe not.
it is not hot here, drizzle today but warmish.
ciao,
JA